Granola Template Recipe (large batch)
Preheat oven to 300, and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
Mix all dry ingredients except for dried fruit (oats, nuts, seeds, spices, salt) in a large mixing bowl. Whisk wet ingredients (oil, maple syrup, extract) in a small mixing bowl. Pour wet ingredients over dry, mix immediately until all ingredients are moistened, and spread mixture evenly over the two prepared baking sheets.
Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, toss granola on baking sheet, rotate trays in the oven, and bake another 15-20 minutes until slightly golden. Then, turn off the oven, and allow granola to cool slowly in the oven while the oven cools down naturally. This will help it to crisp up well and be the perfect golden brown!
If using fruit: Mix fruits in with the granola after it is cool.
Store in an airtight containers (such as Tupperware or large mason jars) on the counter. Will keep well for 1-2 weeks. (Also makes great gifts!)
- If using nuts, make sure nuts are sliced or chopped unless you like the whole nuts in the granola.
- If using seeds, keep in mind that some seeds are smaller and may make the granola “seedy” instead of hearty and chunky. For instance, hemp seeds are great, but too many may give the granola a grainy texture. Try using an assortment of ingredients for best texture, or replace some of the add-ins with more oats using the same ratio.
Some combinations to try:
- Oats with coconut, cardamom, almonds, pistachios, almond extract (+ optional dried cherries)
- Oats with pecans, almonds, cinnamon, vanilla extract
- Oats with walnuts, vanilla extract, cinnamon, pumpkin seeds, banana chips or dried apple slices
- Oats with various seeds, vanilla, mixed spices (+ chopped dried fig)
- Oats with almonds, almond extract, coconut, hemp seed (+ dried apricot)
4 c. oats
3 c. nuts/seeds (such as pecans, almonds, coconut flakes, hemp seeds, walnuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.)
2/3 c. oil (melted coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, safflower oil, or another neutral oil)
3/4 c. + 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
2 tsp. vanilla or almond extract
1-2 Tbsp. spices (such as cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger, etc.)
1/2 tsp. salt or more to taste
Optional: 1 c. dried fruits (raisins, apricots, dry cherries, etc.)
2 large baking sheets
Large mixing Bowl
10 minute prep time
40 minute inactive cook time
Vegetarian, vegan friendly, gluten-free with gluten-free oats, dairy-free, nut free is using seeds as mix-ins